Especially in the case of long-term stays, it may be necessary to register a residence. Questions regarding this topic frequently come our way, and we aim to provide comprehensive answers in this article.

Do i have to register a residence?

As a general rule, anyone who moves into a residence shall register with the authorities within two weeks of moving in.
However, there are some exceptions to this rule. Of particular relevance are:

  • Persons who are currently registered in Germany and are moving to another residence for a stay of no more than 6 months, do not have to register or deregister at this residence.
  • Persons who usually live abroad and who move into an accommodation for a stay of no more than 3 months are not subject to the general registration obligation.

Since the maximum stay in our apartments is limited to 6 months, registration is generally not necessary for anyone who is already registered in Germany.
However, the following applies to guests from abroad: If it is already clear that the stay will exceed 3 months, you must register with the registration authority within 2 weeks after moving in. Otherwise, you have to register with the registration authority if you have not moved out of the apartment after 3 months.

Where can I register?

The authority responsible for boardinghouse guests is the citizens' office of the municipality of Eching:

Gemeinde Eching – Bürgerbüro
Bürgerplatz 1
85386 Eching
Contact & opening hours

© Gemeinde Eching

Registration is free of charge and possible without prior appointment during opening hours. It is not possible to register before you actually move into your new home.

What documents do I need?

  • A filled in and signed registration form - available at the Citizens' Office
  • Identity card and/or passport (for identification and change of address or place of residence)
  • eID card for EU citizens (for changing the address on the chip) - if available
  • Confirmation of residence (Wohnungsgeberbestätigung) - provided by us on request

Electronic pre-notification

If you plan to move from your current main residence to Eching, you have the option of submitting your data electronically to the Citizens' Office in advance. By doing so, you usually no longer need to fill out a registration form. This may reduce the time required for personal registration.

Do I have to deregister my residence?

When moving out of your residence, you are obliged to deregister within two weeks unless you move into a new residence in Germany. This means that you only have to deregister if you are giving up a secondary residence without replacing it and if you are moving abroad. In the latter case, you can simply deregister using an online form.

Deregistration is possible no more than one week before moving out.

Does Eching levy a tax on second homes?

Currently, Eching does not levy a tax on secondary residences.

What else should be considered?

  • Registering a residence in Germany generally triggers an obligation to pay broadcasting license fees. So please remember to register your new residence if necessary. Anyone who already pays broadcasting license fees for another residence can request an exemption.
  • Failing to register a residence correctly can result in a fine of up to 1000 EUR.
  • As a new resident of Eching, you have the opportunity to purchase discounted tickets for the annual Brass Wiesn at Lake Eching.

If you have any further questions on the subject, feel free to contact us.

Boardinghouse Eching

This article was created with utmost care. However, we assume no liability for the accuracy, completeness and timeliness of the content.